This is episode 4 of my Continuing Professional Development podcast. It considers how the openness principle, as commonly applied in our justice system, can come into conflict with considerations like information privacy and new technology.
- An introduction to the openness principle as it’s applied in our court processes.
- Theoretical and jurisprudential underpinnings of the the openness principle.
- The way the courts apply the openness principle and the way they make exceptions to it.
- Information privacy and court files.
- The powers courts have over information contained in court files and its effects on individual privacy.
- Contrasts between the way courts approach information privacy and the way other branches of government approach the same issues.
- The risks technology poses for information privacy in court records.
The quiz for this episode is here.